A Different Way of Thinking
At the PMC Weight Management Program, we focus on weight loss and just as importantly, on weight maintenance. Many people can lose weight with a variety of diets and gimmicks, but shortly thereafter they put the weight back on because the focus is on weight loss. Instead, we focus on and prepare you for weight maintenance. This is what makes our program unique, in addition to the fact that "we start where you are." We do an assessment and develop an individualized treatment plan just for you. Our goal is to find better alternatives, specific to you, with an emphasis on ensuring that your hunger is satisfied.
Success is a Team Effort
Our team of physicians, behavioral health professionals, dietitians and exercise physiologists will tailor a program specific for you. This multidisciplinary approach is a special feature of our program.
The team includes:
Rameck R. Hunt, MD, FACP – Medical Director of the Weight Management Program, who is board certified in internal medicine and specializes in weight loss
Mark R. Schwartz, MD – Board certified in internal medicine and provides care for patients in the PMC Weight Management Program
Karina K. Lee, MD – Board certified in internal medicine and provides care for patients in the PMC Weight Management Program
Advanced Nurse Practitioner – assists in deciding the weight-loss option that's right for you, facilitates support groups and answers follow-up questions
Registered Dietitian – designs an individualized nutritional plan, including meal replacement options and sample recipes, and conducts group tours of the grocery store
Behavioral Health Professional – helps with behavior modification, coping mechanisms and motivation; also conducts group sessions
Fitness Trainer – runs group exercises with program participants two times per week.
A Comprehensive Approach
Our goal is for you to lose at least 10 percent of your body weight — the level of weight loss that will positively impact your health. Beyond a 10 percent loss is even better for your health. We surround you with information, advice, support and expertise:
- Medical assessment that is used to help develop an individualized, medically supervised weight loss/management program
- Mental health assessment, including the emotional relationship you have with food and coping strategies to address this, with a focus on behavioral modification
- Metabolic Cart (indirect calorimetry) which accurately measures your resting metabolism
- Individualized nutritional plan, including meal replacement options
- FDA-approved weight-loss medicines when appropriate, managed by a physician
- Complete blood panel to assess your metabolism
- Fitness trainer
- Individualized exercise program
- Measurement of body composition
- Support groups
- Long-term weight maintenance and relapse prevention program
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the program structured?
The first 1-3 months — visits every 1-2 weeks
The next 3-6+ months — visits ever 2-4 weeks
Maintenance program -— 2-4 visits/year
How long is the program?
The initial weight loss induction is typically a 3-6 month program, but it may be longer. After you reach your weight loss goal you automatically enter the maintenance phase. We will continue to work with you on maintaining a healthy weight throughout your life.
How effective is your program?
We find out what your goal is and develop a realistic plan and time frame to reach your goal. Typical rates of weight loss are 2 to 4 pounds per week during the initial phase. Our initial goal is to help you lose 10 percent of your body weight. This level of weight loss will help to improve your health and decrease symptoms from medical conditions you may have. Then we work from there. So far 100 percent of our patients who completed the first phase have reached the initial goal of 10 percent.
While most insurances are accepted, please check with you insurance carrier. Out-of-pocket costs typically include a one-time program fee, insurance co-pays and a fitness training package. Additional fees may apply for any services not covered by insurance.
- Call 609.853.6285 to schedule your appointment. You will receive an introductory packet to be completed before your visit, so we can get to know you better and you can get the most out of your visit.
- After your first visit you will be scheduled for visits every 1-2 weeks for 12 weeks with our multidisciplinary team.
While most insurances are accepted, please check with your insurance carrier. Out-of-pocket costs typically include a one-time program fee, insurance copays and a fitness training package. Additional fees may apply for any services not covered by insurance.