Bariatric Surgery Recovery
You can expect to be discharged from the hospital about one to four days after your bariatric surgery.
It’s not uncommon to feel weak and tired for a few days after your discharge from the hospital. Your body is still recovering from the stresses of surgery. Additionally, the feeling of weakness may be prolonged as your body begins to shed excess pounds.
- You may shower at your leisure.
- Do not drive for 1-2 weeks.
- Do not attempt any strenuous activity, particularly heavy lifting, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
- Walk as much as you wish, and climb stairs as you need to.
- You can return to work anywhere from 1-6 weeks after bariatric surgery. If your work is sedentary, you may return to work 1-2 weeks after you surgery. If your work is more physically demanding, we recommend waiting up to 4-6 weeks after your bariatric surgery before returning to work.