College students (undergraduates) must adhere to the following application schedule:
|Session||When You Would Volunteer||Application Deadline|
|Fall||September - December||May 31|
|Spring||January - May||October 31|
|Summer||May - August||March 31|
What Would Make a Good Volunteer
- You are an undergraduate student
- You have a proactive demeanor and selfless mindset
- Maturity and willingness to adhere to hospital policies and procedures
- Professional and positive attitude toward staff, patients and visitors
- Commitment to a 3-hour shift per week during a given session
What We Offer
- Experience supporting patients, caregivers and staff on inpatient care units
- An opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
- On-going volunteer appreciation and acknowledgement
What Volunteers May Do
- We will discuss your interests and needs during the interview process
- Placements are based on organizational need and the qualifications, skills and background of the individual volunteer
- If you're assigned to a patient care area, duties may include:
- Converse with patients
- Answer call bells
- Stock medical supplies
- Change bed linens
- Organize and file documents
- Transport patients via wheelchair
- Prepare patient rooms
- Assist patients with meal tray setup
What We Do Not Provide
- Shadowing or observation opportunities
- Volunteer assignments that lead to paid positions
- Course credits or internships/clinical training
- Technical institute externships such as medical office assistant/billing, phlebotomy, coding, or any other clinical/business externship
What Is The Process For Volunteering
The volunteer selection and placement process is designed to keep our patients, caregivers and staff safe while providing you with a meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experience. Please note, Volunteer Services will review your application and contact you if a position matches your availability and interests. Due to the volume of applications received, Volunteer Services may not contact all applicants.
Carefully review the following steps before applying:
Step 1: Complete an online application form, which is not complete until Step 2 is submitted
Step 2: Submit 2 reference forms.
Step 3:Volunteer Services will contact you to schedule an Interview/Placement Assessment
Step 4: Medical Clearances. This will involve having a tuberculosis screening test. You will also be required to submit evidence of a seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination during flu season or submit an exemption for approval.
Step 5: On-Line Hospital Orientation
Step 6: Background Check
Step 7: Hands on Training and Welcome Aboard!
You will be scheduled to come to Volunteer Services to start your first day! On your first day you will obtain your ID, become acclimated to the facility and train with the staff in your department.
I have read and understand all of the above information and wish to apply.