The following year, Moses Taylor Pyne donated his farmhouse on Witherspoon Street to establish a hospital. With funds raised by his neighbors, the structure was converted into a 22-bed facility with an operating room and two sun-parlors. Staffed by five doctors, Princeton Hospital admitted 363 patients in its first year. Throughout the century, philanthropy has driven our progress at every step.
Having quickly outgrown the original hospital, town residents embarked on a capital campaign to raise $600,000, and in 1928 a new 56-bed hospital opened.
In the decades to follow, the community’s continued generosity has helped us expand, providing lifesaving treatments, advanced diagnostics, medical education training, and new technologies. And in 2012, a state-of-the-art, 319-bed medical center on a 171-acre campus was built in Plainsboro—thanks to a record-shattering $171 million raised through philanthropy!
Today, we are part of the University of Pennsylvania Health System, a powerful partnership that will continue to transform health care for our patients, your family, and every community we serve—while holding tight to our community roots—for the next 100 years and beyond.