University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro offers outstanding and comprehensive Spine Services close to home.
- Digital X-rays & diagnostic imaging
- Physical therapy & rehabilitation
- Outpatient Rehabilitation
- Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Surgical services
- Home care
- Fitness & wellness services
- Neurophysiology studies, including EEGs, evoked potentials and EMGs
- Intra-operative spinal monitoring
University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro's diagnostic imaging services include:
- Bone density testing (DEXA scans)
- CT scans, including a highly sophisticated 64-slice scanning technology
- Digital & conventional X-rays
- Interventional radiology, including myelography and discography
University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro offers an Outpatient Rehabilitation Network with convenient service sites throughout central New Jersey for patients requiring rehabilitative treatment such as physical, occupational and speech therapy. Inpatient rehabilitation services are available for patients recovering from spine surgery to help bridge the return to home from the hospital.
Medical Conditions, Procedures & Areas of Interest Treated
- Acute & chronic pain management
- Alternative, complementary & integrative medicine
- Back pain & lower back pain
- Neck pain
- Non-surgical orthopaedic rehabilitation
- Physical, occupational & speech therapy
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)
- Spinal injections
- Spine rehabilitation
- Spine care
To find a physician at PHCS who specializes in physical and rehabilitative medicine, click here to access the Physician Directory. From the Physician Specialty drop down box, select Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
From simple ergonomic assessments to help you work more comfortably and ease stress on the spine to comprehensive pre- and post-surgical rehabilitation programs, the University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro Outpatient Rehabilitation Network offers therapeutic care to help you feel better and enhance your physical function. Services are available at convenient locations throughout central New Jersey, and appointments may be scheduled during day, evening and weekend hours.
Outpatient rehabilitative services include:
- Pain Relief: Relieves symptoms and promotes healing in the spine, via modalities, manual therapy and patient education
- Therapeutic Exercise: Promotes muscle flexibility, gradual strengthening and joint stability
- Therapeutic Retraining: Restores maximal function and support for daily activities
- Postural Awareness & Dynamic Spinal Stability Exercise: Helps relieve pain, pressure and aggravating factors contributing to pain
- Post-surgical Rehabilitation: Provides a gradual retraining of muscle and joint structure to encourage a return to pain-free activities
- Pre-surgical Programs: Maximize the patient's muscle function while reducing pain prior to surgery
- Spinal Education Programs: Inform and guide patients with the management and prevention of spinal pain
- Ergonomic Assessments: Maximize function while relieving physical stresses to the spine due to postural and muscle imbalances, at work or in the home
- Aquatic Rehabilitation: Provide the ability to increase muscle endurance and flexibility while relieving pressure on spinal joints
For more information about the Outpatient Rehabilitation Network, click here or call 1.888.PHCS4YOU (1.888.742.7496).
University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro Acute Rehabilitation Unit provides inpatient care for individuals recovering from spine surgery conditions. Treatment focuses on managing pain and improving physical function so that patients can participate in activities of daily living as independently as possible in their home environment. Therapy also helps patients achieve work-related goals. Care is directed by a physician who is board certified in physical and rehabilitative medicine. Additional specialists in neurology, neurosurgery, orthopaedics and internal medicine are consulted and available to manage medical needs during recovery.
Physical Therapy: Therapeutic exercises for strengthening; education and training for proper body mechanics, joint stability and pain relief
Occupational Therapy: Comprehensive training in the activities of daily living
- Utilization of adaptive equipment
- Techniques to conserve much-needed energy
- Techniques for proper training and lifting for your spine
- Home evaluations that include a safety assessment and recommendations for equipment
Neuropsychology: Experienced neuropsychologists conduct evaluations and biofeedback, offer pain/stress relief techniques and psychotherapy as needed
Nursing: Nurses specially trained in rehabilitation manage your direct care, help promote comfort and ease pain, and provide education
Social Services/Case Management: Coordination and referrals for community services and vocational rehabilitation as needed
Specialized Needs: Orthotics, braces/splints are provided when needed; diagnostics (CT scans, MRIs, X-rays) through UMCPP's radiology department
University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro's surgical team includes board certified orthopaedic surgeons and neurosurgeons. Services available include:
- Assistance with finding a surgeon
- Second opinions
- Back & neck surgery, including sophisticated minimally invasive procedures
- Spine care management
- Patient education
Medical Conditions, Procedures & Areas of Interest Treated
- Anterior cervical discetomy
- Artificial disc replacement
- Back disorders
- Back surgery & low back surgery, including minimally invasive back surgery
- Cervical pathology
- Cervical myelopathy
- Cervical spinal disorders
- Congenital spinal malformations
- Degenerative spinal disorders
- Disc replacement
- Disc surgery
- Herniated discs
- Back pain, low back & neck pain
- Lumbar fusion & post lumbar interbody fusion
- Lumbar laminectomy
- Neck disorders
- Neck surgery
- Reconstructive surgery
- Spinal deformities
- Spinal disorders
- Spinal oncology & orthopaedic spinal oncology
- Spinal reconstructive surgery
- Spinal stenosis
- Spine surgery, including minimally invasive spine surgery
To find an spine surgeon on staff at PHCS, click here to access the Physician Directory. From the Physician Specialty drop down box, select Spine Surgery.
To find a neurosurgeon on staff at PHCS, click here to access the Physician Directory. From the Physician Specialty drop down box, Neurological Surgery.
For personal assistance with finding a surgeon, call 1.888.PHCS4YOU (1.888.742.7496).
For patients who have spine surgery or a procedure that requires an inpatient stay, the hospital has a fully equipped nursing unit where you will recover. This beautifully decorated unit is staffed with nationally certified orthopaedic nurses and unit-based clinical instructor. In addition, the unit has its own physical therapy satellite.
Vertebroplasty is an alternative for reducing or eliminating debilitating back pain caused by spinal fractures that are the result of progressive weakening of the vertebra (the bones in the spine). Vertebroplasty is an option to strengthen vertebra that have become fractured or compressed because of osteoporosis by injecting them with sterile acrylic bone cement. The procedure stabilizes affected vertebra, improving pain and mobility while preventing further complications such as spine curvature and height loss.
In addition to being used to treat osteoporosis-related vertebra fractures, Vertebroplasty has other applications as well. A consultation for one fracture-related problem should help guide to proper referral and treatment. It is not a treatment for fractures resulting from trauma, such as accidents or falls unrelated to osteoporosis, which often involve other parts of the bone that are not treatable with vertebroplasty.
To find a physician at PHCS who performs vertebroplasty, click here to access the Physician Directory. In the Keyword box enter the term vertebroplasty and click Search.
For individuals who require the support of in-home care or private duty services while ill or recovering from surgery, Princeton HealthCare System offers a full service home care unit, Princeton HomeCare. For more information, click here.
Princeton Fitness & Wellness Center is a full service, medically based fitness center, offering a safe and welcoming environment for those with special needs or medical conditions. For more information, click here.click here.