Pre-admission testing (PAT) is an important part of the care you will receive if you are having surgery at University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro or either one of UMCPP's Centers for Ambulatory Surgery.
The PAT process is designed with your pre-operative healthcare needs, personal comfort and convenience in mind. Depending on the type of procedure you are having, your physician may order:
- pre-anesthesia consultation
- interview by a surgical resident
- interview by a registered nurse
- blood work
- diagnostic imaging, such as a chest X-ray
- EKG (a test that detects and records heart activities)
- blood donation
Making an Appointment
The first step to pre-admission testing is making your appointment. Your physician’s office may schedule it on your behalf or you may call us directly at 609.853.7360. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please make your PAT appointment as soon as possible after your surgery date is established. You should schedule your appointment to occur no more than 30 days prior to your surgery date.
Please allow one to two hours to complete pre-admission testing. The amount of time you spend in PAT will vary based on the number of tests you are to receive.
What to Bring With You
- Insurance card(s)
- A list of prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements you are currently taking
- A list of any known foods or drugs to which you are allergic
- Any instructions given to you by your physician
- A list of any questions you may have
Your physician will advise you if blood donations are required for your procedure. Appointments for PAT blood donations are available on Mondays and Wednesdays. You will need to bring a photo ID (e.g., a driver's license).
Consultations and Exams
During your appointment, a PAT associate, a registrar, a registered nurse, an anesthesiologist and lab professionals will meet with you personally. Each has an important role to play in your care and will facilitate your admission by:
- educating you about your procedure, the tests that will be performed and anesthetic options available for your particular procedure
- responding to any questions you may have (tests, blood donations, training, etc.)
- helping you understand your financial obligations
For your convenience, specially trained technicians will perform all tests that are ordered by your physician. Usually these tests include:
- Blood and/or urine tests
- Chest X-rays
While blood work, EKGs and physicals are performed in the Pre-Admission Testing office, you may be required to visit the Radiology Department if X-rays are needed. Separate appointments are not necessary. You will be seen as quickly as possible.
When ordered by your physician, specialized diagnostic imaging, such as MRI, CT scans and ultrasound, is available through UMCPP. The PAT office can assist with coordination of your appointments.
Call 609.853.7360 for information.
In addition to coordinating your pre-operative healthcare needs, the Pre-Admission Testing office will handle arrangements for training with walking devices such as crutches or walkers (if required) following your procedure.
Any questions you may have before, during or after your procedure may be directed to your physician or the PAT office at 609.853.7360.