Surgical Techniques

surgical techniquesBariatric surgery comprises a variety of techniques used to close off a large portion of the stomach, leaving only a small pouch for food. This allows a person to feel full after eating much smaller portions of food, causing rapid weight loss. There are four main types of procedures:


  • Gastric bypass surgery separates the stomach into two unequal compartments with less than 5 percent of the stomach remaining usable for food consumption. During digestion, the food empties from this tiny stomach pouch into the upper intestine.
  • Biliopancreatic diversion creates a smaller stomach (similar to gastric bypass surgery), but in addition there is less absorption of ingested food inside the intestine.
  • Lap band (gastric banding) is a procedure in which the stomach is encircled with an inflatable plastic band that restricts food intake.
  • Gastroplasty is a procedure in which the stomach is stapled close to the top with a small outlet or stoma leading to the remainder of the stomach and digestive tract.
  • Sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve) is a procedure in which about 85% of the stomach is removed, leaving 15% of the original capacity. This procedure eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces a hormone that stimulates hunger, which further supports weight loss efforts.
    UMCPP's bariatric surgeons are physicians who are trained in the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques.