The new Edward & Marie Matthews Center
for Cancer Care at University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro (UMCPP)
unites the Cancer Program's cutting-edge services in one specially designed
space, allowing our multidisciplinary team to give patients high quality
clinical care and compassionate support in a modern, yet warm, setting. By
providing a complete continuum of care, the Center gives patients full access to
the specialized clinical services, rehabilitative care, and support they need
during treatment and recovery from cancer.
Nationally Recognized Care
an affiliate of Rutgers Cancer Institute of New
Jersey, UMCPP is helping to define new standards in cancer care while
supporting national efforts to find a cure. Combining advanced
diagnostic and treatment technologies with a dedicated treatment team of
cancer experts, UMCPP's cancer services have received national
- Accreditation with commendation for the oncology program from the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer, and recipient of the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award. Less than one-quarter of programs surveyed in 2011 received this distinguished award.
- Full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. Less than one-quarter of acute care hospitals in the state of New Jersey have received this accreditation.
- Designation as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology. Only five percent of breast imaging facilities nationwide have achieved this designation.
Advanced Diagnostic & Treatment Tools
Edward & Marie Matthews Center for Cancer Care provides top-quality
comprehensive care close to home, using the latest advances in
technology and science, including:
The all-digital TrueBeamTM. As the very latest generation of linear accelerator, the TrueBeamTM
delivers radiation treatments with unparalleled precision
reducing daily treatment times, improving targeting accuracy, and
allowing for great versatility in treatment design. Click here to learn more about the TrueBeamTM linear accelerator.
- The da Vinci Surgical System®, a revolutionary robotic technology
that provides patients with options for minimally invasive surgical
procedures resulting in significantly less pain, less scarring, shorter
recovery time, faster return to normal daily activities, and, in many
cases, better clinical outcomes.
- Endoscopic ultrasound, which enables physicians to see a clearer
picture of tumors or masses in the gastrointestinal tract and around the
lungs, resulting in improved diagnosis and treatment.
- Percutaneous microwave ablation (PMA), a minimally invasive treatment for patients with liver, lung, kidney or bone tumors that cannot be surgically removed or are resistant to chemotherapy.
- Brachytherapy, which involves inserting radioactive pellets into the prostate to slowly delivery radiation to cancer cells over the course of weeks.
- Operating suites equipped with surgical tools that reflect the latest in patient safety and comfort research.
- Direct access to imaging services and the pathology lab for fast diagnoses.
Comprehensive, Compassionate Care
The Edward & Marie Matthews Center for Cancer Care is designed to provide first-class care. From the very start, patients can expect personal attention from a multidisciplinary team that is involved in all aspects of their care. Our program emphasizes providing the personalized care of a community hospital with the advances of a respected teaching facility. We also provide a full continuum of support services.
Our program provides the personalized care of a community hospital with the advances of a respected teaching facility. Every element of patient care, including décor, amenities, and patient services, is designed to promote comfort and healing:
- The JoAnn Heffernan Heisen Infusion Therapy Suite, which faces the serene Punia Family Healing Garden, features 19 individual infusion treatment stations in a community setting with privately controlled heat and built-in massage, plus two private rooms. Click here to learn more about the Infusion Therapy Suite.
- An American Cancer Society representative is available on-site to meet one-on-one with patients and family as part of Cancer Care, the On-Site Patient Navigation Program, which enhances access to high-quality patient education materials, support services and other resources for newly diagnosed patients with cancer and their families.
- Weekly Cancer Conferences are held with a multidisciplinary team of physicians who review National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines, along with the radiology, pathology and treatment plans for cases presented. A separate Weekly Breast Conference is held to review NCCN guidelines, along with the radiology, pathology and treatment plans for breast cancer cases. These weekly conferences are designed to ensure the most appropriate, personalized care is provided to all cancer patients.
- Patients have opportunities to participate in clinical research treatment and prevention trials.
emphasize providing care in a comfortable and comforting environment,
giving patients and family members the encouragement they need, every
step of the way.
- A dedicated oncology educator informs patients and their loved ones
about all aspects of cancer treatment, disease management and community
- An oncology nurse manager visits daily with all inpatients in our program, encouraging open communication.
- A comfortable, soothing outpatient infusion lounge makes
high-quality care more convenient for those who wish to remain close to
home and actively engaged in life’s activities.
- Exceptional patient satisfaction scores through Press Ganey, the
healthcare industry’s leading performance measurement and improvement
firm, continually rank in the high 90th percentile.
Your Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
Coordinated care is provided for each patient by our top-rated, multidisciplinary team of:
Board certified physicians, including medical and radiation oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and pathologists
- Nationally recognized and certified oncology and infusion nurses
- Dedicated nurse managers and oncology educators
- A certified nurse navigator who helps guide patients through diagnosis and treatment and into wellness
- Pharmacists with board certification in oncology and pharmacotherapy, staffing an on-site cancer pharmacy
- Registered and certified radiology technicians and laboratory professionals
- Registered dietitians
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Chaplains and volunteers
*Our certified oncology nursing staff has received national recognition from the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation. One hundred percent of our infusion program nursing staff is OCN certified.
Onsite Patient Services
UMCPP provides the latest advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies in one patient-centered location together with comprehensive supportive services, including:
- Genetic evaluation and counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Clinical trials
- Pain management
- Lymphedema therapy
- Dedicated oncology pharmacy
- Phlebotomy services
- Complementary medicine programs, such as Reiki, art therapy and yoga
- Patient and family support groups
- Pet therapy
- Patient Navigation, which guides patients from pre-diagnosis through all phases of their treatment
- Psycho-social support
- Cancer screenings
- Support groups
- Cancer specialty boutique
A Full Continuum of Care
Princeton HealthCare System offers a full continuum of support for all of your health and wellness needs, including:
Outreach & Awareness
Princeton HealthCare System is an outreach partner of the American Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Our outreach includes:
- Complementary Medicine Programs
- Support groups
- Free or low cost screenings
- Lectures and seminars
- Psychosocial support
For more information about the Edward & Marie Matthews Center for Cancer Care at UMCPP, call 1.888.PHCS4YOU (742.7496). To learn more about upcoming Community Education events, click here.